Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Interview with Author C. Monet


Tonight, EA: Creatively speaks with an author, whose debut novel currently has 46 5-star reviews. Introducing, C. Monet.

EA: How did your journey to becoming an author begin?

CS: It honestly seems like it began overnight. At the beginning of this year, I was on a search to find my passion and purpose. I’ll be turning 30 in December, and I didn’t feel like I really accomplished anything that was for ME, and not contingent to anything else. I started blogging with my publisher and I really loved that, I mean really enjoyed it. A good friend of mine in Christ came to me and told me that I had a “book in my belly”, I completely brushed her off, God hadn’t revealed that to me yet. I stayed faithful and continued to pray. So, I’d guess that a month went by and around 9 P.M Cheyanne’s story hit me. I wrote the first chapter by hand; I had no laptop. So, I ordered a laptop and   got started and that was in June, my debut novel dropped November 3rd, I hit #4 the first day, so the journey has just really begun.

EA: Who, would you say, are the biggest influences in your life?

CS: My mother is an exceptional strong woman. Me and my brothers got to witness true queening every day. At 41 my mother got accepted into the nursing program, and she sat me down around 18 and told me that this was what she always wanted to do, but she put it on hold for me and my 2 brothers. So, an issue came up with her job, she wasn’t able to work anymore and go to school. But because she was diligent and dedicated to fulfilling her dreams, I worked 2 jobs and completed high school. Her wanting to live out her dreams is what influenced me. I struggled with fear of becoming an author and then I remembered what my mom accomplished at 41 years of age.

EA: What is the concept of Did You Think I'd Crumble?

CS:  Did you think I’d Crumble was inspired by Chantay Savage's I Will Survive. I love that song so much, and it set the tone for the concept. Throughout the song this man puts her through all these scenarios that he thought would make her crumble, but she didn’t.

At 19, I got married, and it was a bad relationship but it was a revelation for many reasons. My ex-husband struggled a lot with drinking, cheating and mentally. At 19, that was a lot to deal with and some days I didn’t know if I was coming or going. A lot of what I went through at no fault of my own was enough to make a person go completely crazy, but I didn’t. I hurt, I healed and this is me helping.

EA: Was writing this novel an easy process for you? Do you believe the process in general is easy?

CS: Listen before I started writing myself I was an avid reader, and as a reader you see it one way, but you have no idea all that comes with it. From the word count, you don’t want it too short, but you don’t want it too long, your cover needs to be eye catching and different. It was not an easy process, but it was so worth it.

EA: Are there any upcoming projects?

CS: Yes, I just finished Part 2 of Did You Think I’d Crumble? I plan to start working on my third book after Christmas, this book will detail a young girl looking to find her way in the world and deal with a guy with so much potential, yet no drive at the same time.

EA: What do you look to accomplish mostly as an author?

CS: At this point I want to perfect my craft, I would love to one day watch my book on a screen. But for now, I want to accomplish becoming a household name, that’s all.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

CS: Be patient and pray about it. Writing is therapeutic and it allows your mind to be free of the stipulations society places upon us. I would tell you to be sure this is what you want, it’s a tough game out there. Every day new authors are coming out and topping charts, so be confident in yourself and your work, and it will show.


EA: Finally, tell the reader why Did You Think I'd Crumble is a must read.

CS: Did You Think I’d Crumble is a must read because its raw, relatable and REAL. I’m sure that’s cliché, but it’s true. I told this story because I am the story, not all things are true, but some absolutely are true. I wanted to be completely transparent with this novel and it shows. There’s not one person in the novel that you can’t relate to or that you don’t know someone like. This book is sure to take you on an emotional rollercoaster, you will laugh, you may cry, and you may clutch your pearls. I hope you enjoy!

Epilogue

On a side note, I liked that song by Chantay Savage as well, growing up. I loved the beat. Ms. Monet reiterated things that I continuously emphasize in my epilogues: the writing process-- granted-- isn't neuroscience or brain surgery, but it's not an easy process, how therapeutic writing is-- I've heard this from more than one author-- being confident in your abilities, and honing your craft.

It takes more strength than one may think to open up and tell your story to anyone-- with the exception of a close friend-- nevertheless, to the world. I thank C. Monet for speaking with me tonight. Check out her debut novel Did You Think I'd Crumble by visiting the hyperlink below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...