Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, November 13, 2017

13,000 Views Edition: Interview with Author Teralyn Mitchell


EA: Creatively Creative has now reached 13,000 views! It has come a long way since its inception in late May, and is rapidly gaining momentum. In commemoration with another milestone, I sat down with author, editor, and proofreader, Teralyn Mitchell.

EA: Was writing something you’ve always enjoyed doing?

TM: No, I started writing when I was in middle school. I’ve always loved books and reading so I think that love naturally transformed into a desire to write. I think my first idea came based on a book I read, and I wanted to see how I could change the story and make my own version. I’ve been writing ever since and I have a ton of finished (and unfinished) stories in notebooks and documents on my computer.

EA: What is your approach to engage readers?

TM: I think my approach to engage readers is making strong, relatable, and likable (for the most part) characters. I always relate to characters more than I do the setting or the world created, so I’ve always spent a lot time making sure the characters are real people for the most part. I also like to have strong subjects that readers can relate to.

EA: What is the concept of Princess of Ceshela?

TM: Princess Of Ceshela is a historical romance based in a world that I created. It’s based in the regency era. I like the style of this era so I wanted to use it, but I wanted my characters to be people of color, so I had to make up my own world and my own rules. It’s an alternative history story with people of color being in positions of power as kings, queens, princes, princesses, dukes, etc. Growing up there were not many stories like this so I wanted to write a story for little girls like me who likes to read about princesses and would like to relate to them as well.

EA: Who are your biggest influences?

TM: Some of my biggest influences are Walter Dean Myers, Sharon M. Draper, Mildred D. Taylor, Jodi Picoult, and Melanie Dickerson. Myers, Taylor, and Draper are some of the authors that influenced me to start writing in the first place. The three of them being African-American authors made me see that I could be a writer too. I had people to look up to. Picoult influenced me to up my game when it comes to writing and the amount of research I do when I decide to write a book. Dickerson is someone I discovered recently and she focuses on retellings of fairytales with castles and princesses so I used her books and a lot of others to get a better understanding of how things worked back then, and how others in the genre do things.

EA: Would you say that writing a novel is easy?

TM: Not at all. A lot goes into it and it should not be taken lightly. I think that’s why some people may get discouraged because they go into it thinking that it is easy to write a novel. You have to do your research. It’s good to create an outline to combat the problems that always (for me anyway) seem to come during the middle of the novel. Also, doing character sketches especially backgrounds are very important. It helps you figure out how your character will act in certain situations. Even the things you’ll never bring up or use in your story, help the writer bring the character to life and make them that much more real for the reader.

EA: Are there any upcoming projects for Teralyn Mitchell?

TM: Yes, there are actually. I am currently working on books 2 and 3 for my series, The Chronicles of Caesea which Princess of Ceshela is a part of. I am also outlining for book 5 and hopefully, soon I’ll be outlining book 6 and editing book 4 of this same series. Right now, there are nine books in the series.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

TM: Being a writer is hard work. So much goes into it that you do not realize. My main advice is to make writing a habit and to do that is to write every day even if it’s just a few hundred words and even, especially, if you do not feel like it. Once it’s a habit be sure to take breaks so as not to burn yourself out. Also, another piece of advice would be to just write when it comes to that first draft. Do not worry about it being perfect. Do not read what you’ve written (unless you stepped away for a time and need to figure out where you left off) or edit as you are writing. That first draft is really just getting your idea on the paper or screen. Also, be willing to rewrite. Writing is rewriting so do not fall in love with what you’ve written, but the concept of what you’re writing. Be willing to make the necessary changes by cutting what just doesn’t fit. And finally, believe in yourself and your work, and be willing to put yourself out there and share it with others.


EA: Finally, tell the readers why Princess of Ceshela is a must read.

TM: I think my book is a must read because it combines action, intrigue, and romance along with royalty! Who doesn’t like a good book with kings and queens and princesses? But honestly, I think it’s a must read because it tells the story of a girl who is trying to find her way after finding out the last fourteen years of her life has been a lie. I think it’s a relatable story with great characters.

Epilogue

I would say getting something down on paper or the computer, even if it's five minutes of writing, as long as you have written something, is a daily motto of mine. It's like collecting coins. It may look small at first, but if you keep at it, you will be amazed at how those words will starting adding up, and how your characters and content starts coming together.

I can not stress enough the importance of strong character development and research when writing a story. As I've alluded to recently, the more research you do, the more knowledgeable you become on the subject(s), the better the chance you have at creating a quality story.

I definitely would like to thank Teralyn for speaking with me. For more on Teralyn, and if you're interested in her editing/proofreading services, visit her website at teralynmitchell.com. You can also follow Teralyn on social media by visiting the links below.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...