Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, July 17, 2017

Interview with Author/Poet Jennifer Johnson


The author spotlight continues to shine for EA: Creatively Creative. Today, I spoke with an individual who is a member of her local Writer's Guild, and has been featured in "Best Poets of 2012" by WorldPoetryMovement.com. Introducing author and poet, Jennifer Johnson.

EA: Would you tell us a little about your book, Red Eyes?

JJ: Red Eyes is about love, life, and sometimes the things that hurt you. This book was meant to help others relate to situations that happen in life and let them know they aren't alone.

EA: What motivated you to write it?

JJ: Everything motivates me to write. Anything from daily activities, to my world travels, to things that simply flutter into my mind.


EA: Were there any authors who inspired you to become a writer?

JJ: Emily Dickinson is a far distant aunt of mine and I always loved her work. Although writing just came to me naturally it is friends and family who encourages me to continue to write and to publish. If it doesn't scare you a little bit then you are doing it wrong. Live out all your goals and dreams even if you are the only one who wishes they come true.

EA:  When did writing become a passion that would stick with you?

JJ: I began writing as a teenager and later realized it ran in the family as my Aunt Sophia who is published also encouraged me. My first publication was in the school newspaper and I received a lot of compliments. After that I was nominated for Lawrence County Emerging Women's banquet for my books. The passion continues every time someone says to me that my work was relatable or touched them in some way.

EA: Would you say the process of writing a book is easy?

JJ: It's easy to get thoughts onto paper.... the hard part is translating how you feel or think into another entity that others may able to feel or see. I would have to say the hardest parts are editing and marketing.

EA:  Describe the feeling of being nominated in the "Who's Who" of literary arts and as one of Indiana's Emerging Authors.

JJ: I was ecstatic!!! I kept thinking these are just my thoughts and people understand me!! I've reached my goal of having someone relate. The best feeling is knowing that your passion brings value to others. I never believed I was a good writer. I just put pen to paper hoping I could help someone else deal with thoughts and life.

EA: Are there any upcoming projects?

JJ: I am always writing down ideas. I never leave home without a notepad!!!! Currently, I am editing a poetry book and am in the process of writing both a book of short stories and a fantasy/ crime novel. I wanted to try a new genre and apply some passion into those books.

EA: What is your vision as an author and poet overall?

JJ: I'm not in it to make money. I'm just wanting to reach out to others and say, "hey I feel you; you aren't alone with those thoughts you are having."  As for the future I will always have pen to paper and encourage others to do the same. I support other authors and poets who have been brave enough to set their work out to the public eye. I believe dreams can be achieved and hearts can be touched.

EA: Finally, tell the readers why Red Eyes is a must buy.

JJ: As I have written over the years I can see a change in my own writing style. It's a growing process. Practice, just like anything else. If a reader loves poetry and the bare truth of feelings both good and bad then this would definitely be a good read. I always set forth to comfort or make my work relatable. It's about life and all the ups,downs, and heartaches it can produce.

Epilogue

A common ground that we as authors have is to create content that is intriguing and relatable to readers, content that makes sense. I can definitely relate to Jennifer's position of everything motivating her to write. My philosophy is that inspiration can be found under a rock. I would like to thank Jennifer for taking the time to speak with us. To find out more on Jennifer, or if you would like to try her poetry, visit the links below.

Amazon: Jennifer Johnson
Facebook: Author Jennifer Johnson
Facebook Reading Group: Amazing Authors and Artists


No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...