Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Interview with Author Jessica M.


Picking up from last week, in what is another set of back-to-back interviews for EA: Creatively Creative, the spotlight shines on author Jessica M.

EA: What is the concept of Shawty Fell in Love with a Savage?

JM:  The concept behind the story is that sometimes our choices will not only affect us but the ones that are around us. Are the things we want worth the consequences? And can the love we have for others outweigh the love we have for ourselves. Lastly, that we all have a past and what we do with it is on us.

EA:  Were there any authors who influenced you to become a writer?

JM:  I read a lot of books before becoming an author, but Shvonne Latrice, K.C. Mills, Ebony Diamonds, and Mz. Lady P. were my favorites and still are.

EA: Would you say that writing a novel is easy?

JM: Writing is far from easy, but a joy. If God leads you in, he will always be there to bring you through. I love what I do even when it's not easy. Writing about different characters and letting your mind think or say what they all feel is far from easy and could be hard on the mind, but I love it.

EA: What do you look to achieve mainly as an author overall?

JM: Everything thus far has already been achieved. I've dreamed of becoming an author since I was a child but didn't strive to make it happen until a year and half ago. The goal has been met. Anything that comes with it, is just an added blessing.

EA: I understand that you're a teacher as well. How long have you been teaching?

JM:  I have been a teacher for ten years. I love it and this will be my third year working with pre-school special needs kids.  It makes me humble and appreciative to have my own children who are healthy and in their right state of mind. Small things that we usually take for granted.

EA: Would you describe the experience of teaching?

JM:  It feels good being a teacher. Often people ask me how I do it? I really don't know. It's just a passion of mines to take care of others. It's always a great  feeling to know that I made a  difference in a child's life. Being a teacher and an author were both of the things I dreamed of being and I've accomplished them both. Thank God!

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

JM: To an aspiring author I would say go for it. Even when it seem as if things aren't going as you expected, still keep pushing because the end is only when you stop trying. I haven't been at number one YET! And I'm cool with that  because just last year I wasn't an author period. Now, just to know that I have a total of 13 books published is an awesome feeling. But just stay humble and grateful and your day will come. Things may not happen when you want it to but it will  happen as long as you keep going.

EA: Finally, tell readers why Shawty Fell in Love with a Savage will be a must buy.

JM: Shawty Fell In Love With a Savage isn't your ordinary read, but it can be related to. I was a reader before I was an author so I know what I used to look for in a book. One of the most important things about all of my books is that they start pulling you in from the start. I don't believe in that waiting till the 4th chapter to get it popping. I like to read books with drama from the beginning and that's what Shawty Fell In Love With A Savage offers along with all of my other books. Trust me, if you try me out, you will not be disappointed.

Epilogue

Overall, I like to create stories that pull readers into the characters' world, particularly from the start. However, while maintaining an interesting beginning, sometimes I like to thicken the plot a little later as a teaser-- and for variety. On another note, if you have the talent, and the persistence, it's never too late to become an author. I'm in my mid-thirties, and although I've been writing most of my life,  I didn't start writing professionally until two years ago.

I would like to thank Jessica for taking the time to speak with me. If you're interested in checking out Shawty Fell In Love With a Savage, and many other novels from Jessica, visit the link below.

Author Page: Jessica M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...