Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Friday, February 5, 2021

Stepping Stones: A Writer's Ramble, Pt. II: Nitpicky Readers


As a writer, I realize not everyone is going to like your work, or some cases if they do, they will offer some criticism on what they didn’t like, which is fine. What I can’t stand is spiteful, nitpicky readers/criticism. Recently, I got my book, Bounty Huntress: Invasion of the Keratinians listed on a website for “elite” readers. This particular pier is set up to where once your book is listed, an “elite” reader can request your book, and you send them the PDF, Mobi, etc. for them to read in exchange for a review as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy, for those who don’t know).

I waited nearly two weeks before checking back with him to see how it was going. Yesterday, I sent him an email to see where his progress was, and he tells me that he couldn’t get past 16 percent of the book, according to his Kindle reader, then proceeds to ask would I prefer a bad review or no review at all? I basically told him not to bother posting a review, since I could I clearly see that he didn’t like it.

He then asked me have I written plays/scripts in the past. This was one of those “to ask question is to answer the question” situations because I knew why he was me asking that, so I told him, “ I have, but not professionally.” As I suspected, he told me that it reflected in my writing style, then suggested that I don’t use that as a way to make my books flow. Then had the audacity to say, “I hope you don’t mind my feedback,” to which I didn’t even bother to reply.

As these emails are being exchanged, I’m processing the information, and I concluded that his issue wasn’t with the story in and of itself, but the way I wrote the story. Yes, he’s entitled to his opinion, but to me, his feedback was nitpicky and petty. So, because the book wasn’t formatted to his liking, the whole book is no good? Man, fuck you. GTFOH. I’ve had people read my books before and they didn’t have a problem with my writing style.

He should’ve just left well enough alone. He already made it clear he didn’t like the book because of the way it was written. That’s all I needed to know, I didn’t ask for details. As far as I’m concerned he could’ve kept his “feedback” to himself. I’m good.

This goes back to what I mentioned in the beginning: I can’t stand spiteful, nitpicky readers/critics. They find one thing wrong, to them at least, and they go to pieces. Perhaps the opinion wasn’t spiteful, but it was definitely nitpicky and petty. I’m almost certain, at least 8 times out of 10, that this guy is not a writer. People like this are usually your biggest critics. They don’t do what you do, but they want to dictate how you should write your story.

I’ve read books that while the story itself was good, grammatically, the writing was shitty, which that alone would make most people discard the book. However, while I pointed out these errors in the book in the review, I still rated it a 3 out of 5 stars because despite the bad grammatical structure, the book still kept me intrigued and turning the pages wondering what was going to happen next.

Some might be thinking, “He can’t take criticism.” Not true. There have been times where someone gave a critique, and I considered what they said, I saw what they were talking about, and I made the minor adjustment. Mind you, one of them was a writer. I’ve received critical feedback that I didn’t necessarily agree with, but I thought it was honest and fair, and I respected their opinion. Bullshit feedback like his, I don’t respect.

I’m always looking to improve as a writer, but for some lame ass, so-called elite reader to try to dictate my writing style and tell me how I should write my books a NO-NO. Now, if someone offers feedback or advice that you find viable and applicable, by all means, apply it if you choose to do so, but never let anyone dictate your writing style and/or tell you how to write your stories.

This is why it is imperative to trust yourself and be confident in your writing abilities because not everybody is going to like your writing style and/or your stories, that’s just the reality of it, but never let them deter or discourage you. I’m 99 percent sure Stephen King’s writing was criticized before he became a renowned writer, and I’m sure even till this day there are some people out there who don’t care for his writing style, but he doesn’t let that stop him.

A fellow writer told me that’s why he doesn’t care for those Elite Reader websites because the readers tend to have a bad sense of entitlement. While I’m sure he was speaking collectively, in this guy’s case, he’s absolutely right. The bright side or silver lining in all of this is at least there was something about the book that requests have been made to read it. As for me, I’m far from deterred or discouraged. If anything, it’s added bulletin board material and another stepping stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...