Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Second Interview with Author Lauren Chow



Today's guest made an appearance here back in 2017 (when it was EA: Creatively Creative) to talk about her debut novel, Chosen. Till this day, that interview has received the most views (so far) out of all of my blog pages. Today, she returns, but for the first time in the Literature Lounge. I welcome back, author Lauren Chow.

LL: Welcome to the Literature Lounge, Lauren.

LC: Hello! Thanks for inviting me.

LL: The last time we spoke, you were releasing your first ever novel, Chosen. How's the book coming along since its release?

LC: It’s been phenomenal. I’m genuinely surprised at how well it’s still going. I thought that after a few of months people wouldn’t really care about it. It’s now been almost two years and I’m still receiving messages about how people enjoyed the book and asking for the release for the sequel. It’s a strange but amazing feeling knowing that your piece of work impacted someone else in the world.

LL: What have you learned from your experience so far in your young career?

LC: I think the biggest lesson I’ve learned from writing is that you can’t please everyone. You should always be proud of the work you poured your heart and mind into. However, there will always be haters and people looking for flaws in your work.

In one of my works called “Rosaline” on Wattpad, there were some users that commented or messaged me, accusing me of supporting abusive relationships and that I was anti-feminist. The comment that stood out to me the most said that I should “check my morals” if I am writing stories like this and gave me a set of instructions on how I should change my story. I remember being shocked and rattled by these messages, thinking “where in the world is this coming from?”. I never thought I would experience this and now it slapped me right in the face.

Immediately after that, I posted a warning and defended my beliefs. When it still didn’t stop, I didn’t write for a solid month and deleted the app. During that time away, I began to realize there will always be people who want to knock you down. I don’t need to satisfy these strangers and let them demand how I write my book. I know my beliefs and what I write doesn’t have to reflect who I am as a person.

When I finally downloaded Wattpad again, I was overwhelmed by the support and love I got from fans when I posted another chapter. “Rosaline” is one of my most popular works and I don’t regret how I wrote it. It’s my book and I’m proud of it.

LL: Knowing what you know now as a writer, is there anything that you would do differently?

LC: I personally wouldn’t change anything. Each book taught me a lesson and helped me find my writing style. If I changed anything, who’s to say I wouldn’t have created Chosen in the first place? I may not be the writer I am today if I didn’t make mistakes or changed my way of thinking.

LL: I understand that you're working on a sequel to Chosen. Would you tell us the name of it?

Yes! I’m happy to declare that the sequel to Chosen is called Risen! I have been working on this book for years! Initially, I finished this book around 2017, but I’ve constantly been editing and changing the plot. It’s safe to say that I am finally satisfied with it.

LL: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

LC: Be patient and take your time writing your stories. Remember that you’re not going to write an entire novel in a day. It’s okay to get writer’s block, so don’t just write if you feel pressured to keep going. Pressuring and rushing yourself to finish your book can cause your plot to get wonky (I speak from experience). Writing is a way for you to express yourself and your imagination. If you rush to the end, you’re missing the adventure. As cheesy as it sounds, just have fun!


LL: Finally, can you give us an idea of what readers can look forward to in the sequel?

LC: I don’t want to spoil it too much. But in the sequel, we are flash forwarding eight months after the end of Chosen. The readers are about to enter a world filled with fear and hopelessness. While the readers are going to find out what happened to Clara and her family, it doesn’t mean they are safe and sound. Be prepared to go on a rollercoaster of emotions as you’ll finally get the conclusion to Chosen.

Epilogue

"You can't please everyone" is one of the golden rules of this business/industry, and you must embed it in your mind quickly. I have a story of my own to illustrate that example, but I've talked about it enough, so I'll pass on this one. 

Going back to Lauren's WattPad experience, this is why I have the "screw them"-- and I'm being very politically correct-- mindset that I have. Obviously, there are some things one should consider when writing. For example, I wouldn't write romance material for a children's book. Some things should be common logic.

To change your work or style due to someone's opinion/criticism will cause you to overthink: "Is it too political?" "Is it too this or too that?" Not only that, if you're not careful, they will take over your story-- or at least attempt to, as shown by the individual who had the unmitigated gall to give instructions on how to change her story. Man, screw that! Again, that's not the word I want to use, but I try to keep it PC here. I'm not referring to those who give honest and fair criticism, but I think you should vet those as well.

Express yourself completely as you see fit for your story. Yes, you want to write something compelling for the audience, but it has to be compelling to you first and foremost, regardless of what they think. By the way, I'm anti-feminist myself. At the end of the day, you can't please everyone, and neither should you try.

Anyway, that's enough of my rant, I'd rather save that for my social commentary blog. Being patient during the writing/creation process is key. It can be very tempting to work on a story for a while, and get the urge to rush to get it out of the way. To be fair, most readers can detect when one rushes a story. I've witnessed it from their comments on other authors.

"Writing is a way for you to express yourself and your imagination. If you rush to the end, you’re missing the adventure." I couldn't have said it any better myself, and most definitely have fun doing it. Enjoy the process. I want to thank Lauren again for stopping by the Literature Lounge. For more on Lauren, and her written works, visit her website at https://www.lchowbooks.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...