Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, November 13, 2017

Interview with Author & Publisher Sasha Ravae



Tonight, EA: Creatively Creative sits down with author and CEO of Black Eden Publications, Sasha Ravae.

EA: What drove you to pursue writing as a career?

SR: I have been writing my whole life, but after letting my family and friends read my first book Counterfeit Dreams, I decided to take the craft much more serious and focus on making writing my career.

EA: Were there any authors who further inspired you to become a writer?

SR: My true love for writing came after being an avid reader of Urban Fiction. I read Flyy Girl by Omar Tyree in high school, and from there I became obsessed with other authors like Wahida Clark, Ashley & JaQuavis, Shannon Holmes, and K'Wan. Their work made me feel like certain struggles are universal, and that was very inspiring.

EA: What is the concept of The Dope Grammar Guide?

SR: The reason I felt the need to write this book stemmed from my first real experience with needing to know proper grammar. When I was in college, I took a grammar course. I was really eager to take it because I loved to read and write so much. I just knew that by the end of the semester I was going to walk out such a better writer—but that wasn’t what happened…well, not at first.

The concepts in grammar didn’t make sense to me at the time because they were explained in such a roundabout way. With The Dope Grammar Guide, we’re giving it to you straight. With easy-to-follow descriptions, real-life examples, and plenty of practice quizzes, you’ll be a grammar boss in no time.

EA: Do you believe writing a novel is easy?

SR: For me, no. It takes a lot to write a book outside of time and resources. When I write a book, I always feel so emotionally connected, that by the time I'm finished, I feel like I've lived a hundred lives.

EA: Would you tell us about your blog, The Inside Talk?

SR: The Inside Talk is a place for the authors of Black Eden Publications to express themselves, but even more than that, Black Eden Publications is definitely a resource for writers, so we also like to post tips and posts on topics that will help a writer in one way or another.

EA: You launched Black Eden Publications in 2015. Was that an easy process? What are the requirements to become an author for Black Eden?

SR: I started my professional writing career back in 2012, but I had no experience in the publishing industry, so I decided to sign with a small indie-publisher in 2014. After a while, I wanted to have more creative freedom, so I started Black Eden Publications. It definitely wasn't an easy process, but it was worth it.

The authors of Black Eden Publications are all so unique, but one thing they all have in common is passion. Writing isn't just a job for them, they live for it. So, when our acquisition team is looking through manuscripts, they are always looking for that fire...and the person has to be dope too, of course.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

SR: Go for it! I always get people who message me and say, "I've always loved to write, but..." Don't let that "but" hold you up.Everything you've ever wanted is always on the other side of fear.

EA: Finally, tell the readers why The Dope Grammar Guide is a must buy.

SR: If you're just learning grammar for the first time or even if you just need to brush up, The Dope Grammar Guide is for you! We don't get caught up in all the technicalities. We cover the important topics in a way that is relatable.

Epilogue

In 2015, when people found out that I wrote and published my first book (Taylor Made), I had some tell me that they have always wanted to write a book, and there was that "but" Sasha's referring to. One, in particular, had an issue with confidence and fear.

She was overly concerned that her work wouldn't measure up, which I believe all authors have dealt with that at one point in time, particularly when they first started. She also admitted that she was sensitive, and wasn't sure if she could handle the criticism of others. Criticism can be difficult to deal with, but it's a hurdle one must overcome in order to excel in this business, or in anything else, for that matter. 

I've written two books, and I'm currently writing a third. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish writing and publishing the first two, if I allowed fear or one's criticism to slow me down or consume me.

I think that's an interesting concept for an author to put together a grammar guide for fellow and upcoming authors, getting to the gist of things, versus long, drawn-out technicalities. I would like to thank Sasha for speaking with me. For more on Sasha, or if you're interested in becoming an author for Black Eden, or if you would like to try their professional editing services, you can email them at info@blackedenpublications.com, or visit the website at www.blackedenpublications.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...