Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, October 23, 2017

Interview with Author Iisha Monet


Tonight, I had the opportunity to speak with up-and-coming author Iisha Monet.

EA: What is the concept of What It's Like To Love A Heartless Savage series?

IM: The concept for What's It Like To Love A Heartless Savage is the love story of two sisters who are the complete opposites. I wanted to show what women experience when it comes to loving the opposite sex from the good to the bad. The heart wants what it wants and sometimes when we follow it, either something beautiful can come from it, or it can be a disaster.

EA: Will there be other installments for this story in the future?

IM: Yes. It's actually a three part series. Parts one and two are already available, and I am currently working on part three.

EA: Tell us a little about the titular characters, Shiloh and Sachua Williamson.

IM: Well Shiloh is the oldest of the two. She's 24, college graduate, works in human resource and is a virgin. She has no experiences with the opposite sex until she meets Landon. I wanted her to showcase the pure and innocent side of a woman. Sachua is the youngest, she's a young mother, her baby father/ boyfriend is abusive. Serial cheater. Pretty much a fuck boy and she's battling what her heart wants and what her mind is telling her. There's plenty of women who can probably relate to her story. As the series goes on, both of these ladies grow in ways that mold them to be better.

EA: Who are your biggest influences?

IM: My biggest influences to write? I will have to say Jennifer Weiner and Miss Candice.

EA: Urban/Street Literature usually isn't well received by most audiences. What's your take on the perception of Urban Fiction/Street Literature novels?

IM: I think Urban literature gets a bad rep because everyone thinks it's all about guns, drugs and hoes when it's not. Don't get me wrong is it somehow mentioned in most books? Yes. However, some of the BEST books I've ever read were urban fiction. They're relatable. They're raw. It's honestly a perfect way to exercise freedom of speech even if it is in a book that's fiction. It's our platform to get our voices heard in a way.

EA: What can readers except next from Iisha Monet?

IM:  Honestly just more books. I'm already brainstorming my next series. I haven't established a fan base as of yet, so I'm pretty much just proving myself.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

IM: My advice is to just shoot for it. It doesn't hurt to try. If writing is your passion don't let anyone take that from you. Follow your heart. I wanted to be a journalist after high school and my mother said there wasn't any money there so I got discouraged. Literally 10 years later I'm published thanks to Miss Candice. I told her I wanted to write, and she encouraged it, and here I am. Sometimes you just have to do it. Believe in yourself enough. Be confident.

EA: Finally, tell the readers why the series, What It's Like To Love A Heartless Savage is a must read.

IM: What's It Like To Love A Heartless Savage series is a MUST read because I literally am pouring my soul out. Every emotion you read on those pages is real. I connect with my characters and you'll be able to recognize that. It's a love story. A relatable love story. Anyone who reads it will be drawn in from the very first page. Just take a chance and give me a chance, I promise you won't regret it.

Epilogue

A lot of times, people fail to realize the importance of the basics when doing or venturing into anything, and confidence is one of the major basic components. It's going to be difficult to accomplish anything if you lack confidence and belief in yourself.

I'll admit that I'm not one who is quick to read that particular genre, but the two that I've read in recent months, I must say that looking beyond what critics would consider glorifying stereotypes, the first one I read (The Stripper Diaries: Diner Diva), in particular, was art imitating life. The other (The Teflon Queen), I had no idea it was Urban Fiction until I started reading it. The assassin aspect of the story is what drew me to it.

No matter the genre, I believe all stories give authors the opportunity to freely express themselves, sometimes in ways that they aren't able to verbally. I would like to thank Iisha for speaking with me tonight. Check out her What's It Like To Love A Heartless Savage series in the links below.

What's It Like To Love A Heartless Savage

What's It Like To Love A Heartless Savage 2



No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...