Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Interview with Author Rocco Ryg


Tonight, EA: Creatively Creative speaks with political analyst and author Rocco Ryg.

EA: What is the concept of The Onryo Saga?

RR: The Onryo Saga is an anime-inspired superhero epic that asks the question: How would you change the world? The characters, both hero and villain, follow ideologies across the political spectrum that reflect their experiences and their concepts of right and wrong. They now have the power to remake society according to their values, ideas and principles, and have to compete in a battle of wits and skill that will determine whether the world turns to extremism or moderation, liberty or tyranny.

EA: What is your approach to engage readers?

RR: I invite the readers to ask themselves what characters and ideologies they best identify with. Are you an anti-government anarchist or a traditionalist? Do you believe a strong public sector is necessary for the advancement of a free state? Do you support the cause of social justice or a social hierarchy that benefits only the few? The readers are not dictated to, but allowed to decide for themselves what they agree with and what they oppose.

EA: Is writing a book easy?

RR: Not my books. Since I write about other countries and their political/cultural issues, I have to devote lots of time to research. This ensures that the story accurately portrays the culture, while also respecting it. Aside from that, lots of proofreading is necessary before the book is ready to publish. I proofread each one more than a dozen times. I also print them out and read them on paper, which provides a different perspective than a computer screen. It could take two, three or more years to perfect it.

EA: Who would you say are your biggest influences?

RR: I was inspired by various anime series, especially the ones with a lot of soul and depth to their storylines. The work of comics legends like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Ed Brubaker were also an inspiration.

EA: I understand that you also have an interest in politics. What exactly sparked that interest?

RR: I came of age in the Bush era, and all the lies and deceits of that time led me to question what I had been taught. I became fascinated with political theory and earned my Masters degree in the subject. I like to read about different theories and the results of their practice, and I apply my studies to my stories.

EA: Are there any upcoming projects?

RR: I am currently researching material for my fourth entry in the Onryo Saga, The Tree of Zaqqum. In it, my heroes head to Israel to stop Palestinian extremists from destabilizing the country with quantum technology. But things are not as they seem, and the escalating conflict will cause them to question everything they believe. I think it will be my most intriguing book yet!

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

RR: To really make your book stand out, take a concept everyone is familiar with and turn it on its head. Put your own unique twist on an idea that shows your readers who you are and what you believe. Expand your readers' minds and make them say, "Wow, I've never thought of that before."


EA: Finally, tell the readers why The Onryo Saga is a must buy.

RR: In this series, I wanted to present comic book action and anime-inspired creativity, combined with a rich story that educates and inspires the readers about the world's issues and political theories. After writing three entries, I've pushed myself to open my mind to other systems of thought and different possibilities, and I hope my readers will open their minds too and embrace a broader perspective. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Epilogue

Another fellow author speaking on the process of writing books. Albeit enjoyable, the process is not as simple as those outside of the literary realm thinks. Particularly if you're dedicated to your craft, and you want to create something that's not only interesting and compelling, but also practical, and lot of this stems from extensive research.

I agree with the concept of taking content and presenting it in our own unique way that broaden the horizons of the readers. Make them (perhaps) view something from a perspective they never considered. I would like to thank Rocco for speaking with me. For more on Rocco, and his books, visit his Amazon Page.

Amazon: Rocco Ryg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...