Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

6,000 Views Edition: Interview with Poet/Author Erin Geil


Today, EA: Creatively Creative talked with poet, author, and West Virginia alumna Erin Geil, who released her first book, Podunk Moon: An Anthology on Thursday.

EA: When did you discover that writing was something you desired to do?

EG: I guess you can say writing found me, before I found it. As a child, before I could hold a pencil, or say all of my ABC’s, I was insistent that my mother write down my poetry. Somewhere in this house is a green velvet journal in my mother’s handwriting about the ins and outs of bathroom behavior. Not exactly Lord Byron material, but it was the beginning of my writer’s life.

EA: You recently released Podunk Moon: An Anthology. Would you share with us the origin of the name and what the book is about?

EG: The origin of the name is a two-part answer, that involves my mother once again. My mother is originally from Pennsylvania and one day while on a drive she threw out the word “podunk” and I thought she was just making up words, until I googled it. I’m not sure if it originated in PA, but a lot of PA people readily know the word.

The second part answer is this: while myself and my then-boyfriend were out on a drive we drove across this long patch of moon-crater like surface on the road. I then threw the two together, because I thought it sounded unusual and head-scratching.

The book itself contains thirteen years of my life’s work in poetry and fiction. It starts with my most recent work and travels back in time. In a perfect world, readers would read it front to back, so that they can see the progression of a more honed craft slip into that of a more ingenue style of writing. I literally went by the dates of my poetry journal, so it’s my journal backwards. A majority of the book is poetry with an excerpt of my suspense-thriller novel, The Great American, at the end.

EA: Who, if any, are your inspirations to becoming a writer?

EG: Other authors that have definitely influenced me are James Patterson and Stephen King. Primarily, Patterson. My grandmother read his Alex Cross series and when I was eleven or twelve; I read Along Came a Spider and that blew my brain on the walls in the only good kind of way that that can be done. I eventually would buy the new book in his series, read it, then give it to her to read. 

When she died, I stopped reading the series, but every so often I re-read Patterson’s Hide & Seek. I can easily say this is my favorite book of all time. I’ve been re-reading it since I was 13 or so, now going on 35. One day I hope to start reading the Alex Cross series again.

Some other more personal influential/inspiring people have been several professors at WVU. As well as my parents who have always been a constant and steady support system. They’ve definitely inspired me to keep writing and see the finish line.

Lastly, I was recently told that writing books is the karma that I’m supposed to work through. And it does feel right to me. Specifically, with my suspense-thriller novel, The Great American. Readers in writing workshops would swear a man wrote it. So maybe I was murdered in another life, or perhaps I was the perpetrator. Or maybe it’s all just bunk, but some of it resonates with me. I try to keep my mind as open as a bear trap, but I understand some things are hard to believe if you can’t hold it in your hands.

EA: Would you say that writing (i.e. a book or poetry) is easy?

EG: It can be easy if the circumstances are right. An example: when I was in college a Professor gave us this exercise/prompt, to write a poem that was narrated by an object. And right away, like quickfire, a coffin just popped into my head, along with a burst of ideas. I entitled it “Closed Crib” and it’s somewhere in the book.

I’m the type of writer who will put away a novel for a year or more sometimes when it starts to feel forced, because I feel that just leads to a bored audience. My poetry book took longer because poetry comes to me in random spurts, usually while I’m dealing with an emotional situation. My poetry is mostly non-fiction. If I’m happy, I tend not to write poetry. My poetry is all about pain, confusion, and love gone horribly wrong, the normal kind of poetry topics.

EA: Which is more challenging to write? A novel or poetry?

EG: I do feel that a novel is more challenging, at least it has been for me, because as I’ve said I like to stick it in a drawer for a while. If only it was as easy as putting three hundred sheets of blank paper into a drawer for a few months to “cook” so I could simply pull out a finished book. But then everyone would be doing it. However, and maybe this is just the gentle kind soul piping up, but I do feel like everyone has a story to tell. Maybe it’s just simply not on a page in black lettering.

EA: Are there any upcoming projects?

EG: I have several projects that are nearing completion. One I already mentioned, which is the suspense thriller novel, The Great American. Another is a non-fiction prompt book entitled, The 30 Something’s Guide: Abandoning Emotional Baggage. Also, another poetry book that was inspired by wine brands, called, The Wino’s Dirge. And lastly, A Girl’s Diary, which will be a series taken from my own diaries.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring writers/poets?

EG: The advice I would give is don’t stop. Rejections are almost mandatory in this profession. Editors throw them out like candy at a parade. Try not to let it sink completely into your soul. Write because you love it, write because it’s who you are, eventually someone will see the gift you have to offer. Don’t stop.


EA: Finally, tell the readers why Podunk Moon: An Anthology is a must buy.

EG: Podunk Moon: An Anthology is a must buy because you get to live out another person’s life through these pages. I would say it’s definitely like reading someone’s diary, the issues in here are all issues that we’ve all probably been through at one point. I’m not sure who it was that said it, but they do say that your first novel is about you. And there are lots of bits and pieces in my excerpt at the end that were pulled straight from my life. I’ve even had some traumatic things that happened in the fictional novel, that then happened in real life. To some degree it felt like I made them happen, because I wrote about them, which is a bit scary, but I hope you enjoy it. A lot of my soul is in these pages. Trapped, forever.

Epilogue

I don't believe in forcing the issue when it comes to writing, either. To me, it lacks the creative flair that you get when the story take it's natural course in your mind. No one likes to be rejected, but they are a part of the business-- any business. However, you can't allow that to deter you from accomplishing what you set out to accomplish.

I would like to thank Erin for taking the time to speak with me. Check Podunk Moon: An Anthology, available now on Amazon!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...