Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Interview with Author Yasmine Cooper


Before I start, I want to take the time to remind those who aspire to do anything in life, that everyone's not going to like or be on broad with what you're doing, however, you must never let that deter you. I say that to say this. Since launching EA: Creatively Creative, most have been kind enough to do interviews with me, but with the acceptions, there will also be rejections. The other day, I receive an email from an author-- although the individual is more than an author-- who decided to pass on my offer for an interview.

I won't say the person's name; it's not worth mentioning, and there's no reason to. I'm speculating, but when some individuals reach a certain status, and you're not some big-time or well-known magazine, talk show, etc., in their eyes you're small potatoes who's wasting their time, but for whatever reason the decision was made-- don't care what the reason was, to be honest-- I respect the decision.

At least this person declined the offer, versus seeing it and ignoring it. That is freaking irritating. Rest assured I'm far from discouraged. As I've said before, I have several authors lined up for interviews, so it's no skin off my apple. Next. Finally, I want to thank those who allowed me to interview them. They could've easily said 'no' as well, but chose to seize the opportunity. And for that, I'm truly grateful. Now, on with the show.

Today, the author spotlight shines on Yasmine Cooper, whose novel, The Profit is set to release August 12th.

EA: When did writing become a passion for you?

YC: I have been writing since I was in Kindergarten. But it became a passion in 5th grade. My mother became addicted to drugs and as a result my life totally spiraled into confusion and turmoil.  My 5th grade arts teacher must have seen the change in my behavior and helped me to use writing as an outlet. That moment is when writing became more than just something to do, at times it became my lifeline.

EA: Who were your biggest influences to become a writer?

YC: I would say my My 5th grade arts teacher Ms. Lawrence. Like I said she helped me to appreciate writing when I was at one of the lowest points in my life.

EA: What is the concept of The Profit?

YC: The Profit is based on the scripture, What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul. Basically what will people do to become famous.  I wanted to explore the conspiracy theory of the Illuminati in the music industry. There has been a lot of speculations of what celebrities have to do to be famous and wanted to bring light to this theory. And that is where my main character, Ariel finds herself in the book.

EA: Is writing a novel an easy process for you?

YC: Oh gosh no! None of my books are based on my life experiences. I do extensive research on the places, the backgrounds and the lingo of my characters. I take the time to create my characters out of pure imagination.

EA: Do you have any upcoming projects?

YC: Yes. I have two standalones coming out in September and October. I have two series starting November and December.

EA: What do you hope to achieve mostly as an author?

YC: To entertain and to contribute to the people's love of reading.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

YC: To surround yourself with other writers. Because those days you want to give up, you are going to them. To stay true to your craft and not strive to be like everybody else but to be the writer you were called to be.

EA: Finally, tell the readers why The Profit will be a must buy.

YC: There is literally nothing like The Profit on the market. Believe me I looked. LOL. The Profit is so raw with humanity and the choices you make.  The pain, naivete, joy and sorrows are so real and Ariel could easily be one of us.

Epilogue

The Profit-- the name and after learning about the storyline-- sounds like an interesting read. There has been and continues to be many theories about the Illuminati, so I think Yasmine's exploration in the pages of this book will something to look forward to. I would like to thank Yasmine for taking the time to speak with me today. Don't forget, The Profit drops Saturday, August 12th!

Yasmine's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/yasmine.cooper.90







No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...