Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, December 9, 2019

Interview with Author Michelle Al Bitar



Hello and welcome to the Literature Lounge. Today's guest is an aspiring writer from Lebanon. She released her debut novel Red Circus in May. Introducing author Michelle Al Bitar.

LL: Hello Michelle, and welcome to the Literature Lounge. It's a pleasure to have you here.

MAB: Hello! It’s a pleasure to be here as well.

LL: For those who aren't aware, tell us more about Michelle Al Bitar.

MAB: Well, it’s a little difficult to talk about myself so I’ll stick to the essentials. I mostly grew up in a very supportive environment, and my interest in art started blooming since I was a child, whether it was related to drawing, poetry, or acting. However, the older I got the more I was directed towards a scientific career path (doctor or architect). I mean don’t get me wrong, I love science, but it’s just not something I want to live for. I always subconsciously knew I lived for poetry, art, imagination, expression through brushstrokes or words… And so my journey with literature started after I transferred from architecture to English Literature during my second year as an undergraduate.

LL: What started you on your journey to becoming a writer?

MAB: Following what I said in the previous question, my passion for literature and writing was not only expressed while I was at home reading or scribbling down random ideas. It affected me the most when I was sitting in most of my architecture classes and writing a long poetic prose about existential thoughts and imaginary worlds. After I transferred to English Language and Literature, I fell in love even more with classic literature, books that made a change, that broke into the cannon, and I wanted to be like that. I wanted to be a writer who wrote about something that mattered, not something that would sell. I believe I still have a long journey to reach my goal (that after I’d publish probably at least some of the books I have in mind), but what matters to me is that I’m never giving up.

LL: Who would you say are the biggest influences in your life and career?

MAB: My biggest influence in my life are my parents who fought through the war and survived, who taught me and my sister to follow our dreams and never settle for less than what we crave for. They were there for me through thick and thin, especially when I decided to major in literature and our social circle criticized me for not choosing the cliché career path set for every Lebanese student.

What influences my career are all the great writers that preceded me. After reading or listening to their biographies, I realized that nothing comes easy, and we all need to go through the most difficult trials before reaching our destination. They inspire me not to give up on my dreams, even if life sometimes tries to hold us back.

LL: Would you tell us a little about your first novel, Red Circus?

MAB: Red Circus was originally meant to be a horror story about a circus that performed rituals to trick the audience into seeing things that don’t exist; and eventually, one of the rituals backfires and they have to face the consequences. As I started writing the first draft, I realized I wanted to do something political and yet not directly loaded with political theories. This led me to transform Red Circus into a Dystopian novel where tricksters exist, the world is ruled by a bunch of kingdoms, and World War IV has finished (yes, World War IV).

The main idea behind it is that the protagonist Riley Red is circus performer and a trickster (human with an advanced mind that helps her create illusions) whose parents died because of King Christopher Freedian. She uses her power in the circus and mind tricks to enter the king’s palace and tries to get her long wanted revenge. Eventually, the life she leads inside the castle is different than the one she thought she would.

LL: Are there any projects in the works?

MAB: Yes. I am currently working on a series of short stories, each is totally different, but they all have an embedded moral lesson and a plot twist in the end.

LL: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

MAB: We all start as aspiring writers, and I still am one. You may start as a self-published author like me or get a deal with a publishing house. Either ways, both take time. Do not give up. You have the most beautiful hobby/job/passion in the world. You could be or create anything you want. Imagine scenarios before you sleep, when you wake up, and during your breaks throughout the day.

Write. Write. Write.

LL: Finally, tell the readers why Red Circus is a must-read.

MAB: Red Circus has some prophetic sense to it and acts as a caricature of the “democratic” regimes around the world. It suits people who are interested in politics, romance, fantasy, feminism, and war stories all at once. And for all literature geeks out there, there are countless references to classic literature inside.

Give it a try. I’m sure you’re going to enjoy it and start wishing you were a trickster as well.


Epilogue

 "I wanted to be a writer who wrote about something that mattered, not something that would sell." Those are very interesting words because while there are writers/authors who do the former, there are lot of them who do the latter, and there are a few combine the two. It indeed takes time to find success as a writer-- or in anything for that matter-- regardless of what route you take on your writing journey, however, if it's something you truly desire to do, stick with it despite everything, and most definitely don't give up.

I agree that the arts is the most beautiful passion and career in the world. I can relate to imaging scenarios before and after sleep or at random times during the course of the day. I want to thank Michelle for hanging out at the Lounge with us. To purchase Red Circus, click the link below. Once again, this is the Literature Lounge, I am your host Edward Anthony, and I'll see you next time.

Amazon: Red Circus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...