Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, September 28, 2019

LL Blog Series: Mamacita: Chapter Two: Mercedes



Author's Note: This story contains content that is graphic. Viewers/Readers discretion is advised.


Copyright © 2019 By Edward Anthony

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic and mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems — expect in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles or reviews — without written permission.



Mercedes, also known by loved ones as “Cede,” (say-dee) is a woman like no other. She has the zest of a cha-cha dancer...yet, a personality— not to mention looks— hotter than Pepper X. She’s a woman with a slim and trim build; long, silky brunette hair, who is well endowed and proud. Yet, with everything she could offer any man physically, there is something her heart longs for that drives her well beyond the brink of her feisty passion.

Mercedes Santa Cruz was born in Bogota, Colombia to Evelyn, a Colombian, and Jose Santa Cruz, a Mexican who was stationed in Colombia while serving in the Mexican army. After four years in the military, Jose and Evelyn migrated to the Bronx borough of New York in 1993. The family suffered miserably after Jose lost his job as a forklift mechanic/technician in 2003.

As money was running out, the family went down a gradual path of destitution. Jose, a very passionate and proud man, refused to accept government assistance and was determined to find work, but it seemed as if every door he went to was slammed shut in his face. His determination was teetered down to defeat more and more each day. He resorted to drinking to ease his pain; alleviate his stress, drown his sorrows.

To make ends meet, Evelyn took on a job as a waitress in a bar, and even Mercedes’ older brother, Ricardo (AKA “Rico”) started working the evening shift at a bodega before it closed at night while going to school during the day. Beyond frustrated with her family’s situation and devastated to see her dad as a shell of his former self, and refusing to work nickel-and-dime jobs, Mercedes decided to hit the streets. Both Jose and Evelyn were suspicious of her whereabouts, but Evelyn was too focused on morally supporting her husband and helping him get his life back on track to attend to her.

Rico was well aware of Mercedes’ coming and going; while he didn’t agree with it and tried numerous times to convince her not to sway in that direction of life, deep down he knew she wanted more than what she was getting— he couldn’t blame her— and most for the part, chose to stay out of her way.

She would leave the house at any given moment, day or night, sneaking her dad’s M1911 out with her to help “make ends meet.” This business consisted of pick pocketing, being a stick-up, and occasionally drug trafficking. The extra income helped pay the bills and kept food on the table, but Mercedes wasn’t satisfied. She became addicted to the streets, and the streets were addicted to her as if they were a couple who were made for each other— like a moth to a flame.

Night after night she regrettably lied to her father about her whereabouts, saying she was by the parents of either Jasmine Alvarez or Jennifer Gomez, two long-time friends of hers. There were times where that was the case— sometimes, she would go to either one, and eventually wander off to the streets— but most of her time was spent hustling money or others for their money. She did her best to hide her secret life from her dad, who often wondered where the money was coming from, but never took the time to question.

He was never a religious person, unlike Evelyn, but if there was a god, he was definitely thankful not to be out of a house and thrown out on the streets. Mercedes herself took after her dad on that questionable mindset towards religion. She never understood how if there’s truly a god, why would he let her, and her family suffer the way they were.

As for her friends, Jasmine, “Jazzy,” as most would call her, lived in the same apartment building that Santa Cruzes moved into not too long after migrating to New York. She’s the one Mercedes hangs around often; one of the reasons being is because Jazzy is understanding and is always there to lend an ear and a shoulder to cry on, with no complaints. Another reason is Jazzy is also too lenient with Mercedes; she tends to give her wild behavior a pass.

Jennifer, on the other hand, is the total opposite of Jasmine, and while she’s the other close friend of Mercedes, their relationship is unique in that they argue quite often. Even when not arguing, they have a rather strange of way bonding. It’s a situation where they often find themselves on the edge of the cliff, but never taking the leap.

Bronx, New York: Present Day

“What’s good, Jen?” Mercedes asks as their walking down the street heading to Mercedes’ apartment.
“Nothing much, girl. A little tired, but I’m good.”
“Oh okay. Still doing your singing thing?”
“Yeah, girl, still pushing for it. That’s why I’m so tired.”
“I’m saying, I mean, something’s going on. I hardly hear from your ass anymore.”
“I know, I know. It’s keeping me busy, though. Besides, I wasn’t sure if you wanted to hear from me.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” Mercedes asks rhetorically. “Look, I know we have our squabbles sometimes, telling me shit I don’t wanna hear, but have I ever pushed you away or told you not to come near me?”
Jennifer thinks about it for a moment. “No, you haven’t.”
“You had to think about it?”
“Look, we’re rolling to your place now, right? Relajarse. Stop being so damn sensitive.”

Arriving at the apartment building— a spot where Mercedes is now staying with her brother— she opens the door to let them in. As they enter, Rico is sitting at the dining room table, typing on the computer. A childhood crush of Jennifer’s, seeing him always puts a smile on her face, no matter what she’s going through or what mood she was in.

“Hi, Rico,” Jennifer greets in an unwittingly somewhat giggly schoolgirl way.
Rico stops typing and looks up. “Hi Jennifer. How are you?”
“I’m fine.” She walks over to the chair next to him.
“Well, I’m going to my room.” Mercedes says walking past both of them. She stops by the entranceway of her room, turns and sees Jennifer still standing over Rico, watching his computer screen. “Sit ya ass down next to him. You know you like him.”
“Bitch, fuck you.” Jennifer responds.
“No bitch, fuck you.” A grin flashes across Mercedes’ face as she’s shaking her head, opening the door to go into her room.
Rico shakes his head in disbelief. “And you two are friends?” He asks Jennifer.
“Yeah, that’s how we along.”
“You two have weirdest fucking friendship I’ve ever seen,” He says. “Y’all were like that since you were little. A few times I thought I was gonna have to break you two up, but you would stop just short of fighting.”
“It’s weird, I know, but our relationship was built on it.”

Rico once again shakes his head.
“I know one thing. That’s my girl; that’s how we rock. Nobody else bet not fuck with her.”
“The crazy part is, Jen, I believe you when you say that,” Rico admits. “I don’t think you would let anybody hurt her, and she wouldn’t let anyone hurt you.”
“You’re darn right, Rico,” She replies. “But enough about us, what’s going on with you?”
“Checking out some of these ads from potential clients.”
“Oh, you’re still in marketing?”
“Yep. I was recently promoted to Sr. Copywriter.”
“Oh wow. Felicidades!”
Gracias. What about you? Still singing?”
“Yeah. I’m really close to signing with an agent.”
That diverts Rico’s attention from the computer. He turns, giving his full attention to Jennifer. “Oh really?”
“Really. Like I was telling Cede, that’s what has been keeping me so busy lately.”
“So, you’re dropping an album?”
She takes a deep breath. “Not yet, but I’m working on one. Of course, you know these things aren’t guaranteed to be a hit, so hopefully—”
He puts his hand on her shoulder, looking into her eyes. “Jenny, you got this. Don’t let that doubt creep in. You’ll be fine.”
“You’re right, Rico. It’s probably my exhaustion talking. Spending so much time at the studio, I really do need to get some rest. I better get going. Tell Mercedes I’ll see her later.”

As she’s getting up, Rico stops her. “Hey, you can crash in my room for a few hours, if you want to. I’ll be out here for a while, anyway.”
“Really? Are you sure?”
“Of course, I’m sure. I’ll walk you to the train later.”
“Okay. Thanks.”
“No problem.”

Jennifer goes into Rico’s room and falls asleep almost immediately. Thirty minutes afterward, Rico gets up and takes a power nap on the couch. Four hours later, Jennifer is standing over Rico, poking his arm to wake him up.
“Yeah?” He says.
“I’m about to leave. You still want to walk with me?”
He sits up on the couch, wiping his eyes. “Yeah, I’m ready.”

***
Rico returns home from walking with Jennifer. Mercedes is sitting in a chair that she turned sideways from the table, holding a bottle of Mike’s Hard Lemonade that she has drank half of.
“Oh, I see you’re up.” He says.
“Yep, I decided to have a little liquid courage before going back to sleep.”
He looks at her in half amazement and half disgust. “How do you drink that shit?”
“Like this.” She says, taking a drink.
He smirks. “Smart ass.”
“It takes one to know one.”
He chuckles. “What are you doing up, anyway?”
“Your crush woke me up with all that damn snoring. I couldn’t get back to sleep.”
He busts out laughing. “Wow. Really? She was snoring? I didn’t hear anything.”
“Yeah, you always were a hard sleeper,” she replies. “That girl was sawing lumber in there. She could’ve built a treehouse.” Mercedes pauses and looks at Rico momentarily. “You didn’t try anything with her, did you?”
“No, I didn’t. I was a perfect gentleman.” He says, being sarcastically humorous.
“She probably wouldn’t mind if you did. She has the same schoolgirl crush on you that she has had…,” She shrugs her shoulders. “…when she was a schoolgirl.”
“Well, I have to get back to this computer.”
“That’s all you do. You never have time for friends or a girlfriend; your job is your girlfriend. Why don’t you get away from that for a minute, relax, find you someone and chill?”
“Okay, ‘mom,’” He replies sarcastically. “I’ll call Jennifer back over here and we’ll have a blast.”
“Smart ass.” She rolls her eyes and takes another drink.
He grins, shaking his head. “You’re something else, you know that, sis?”
“Of course. I wouldn’t have it any other way.” She stands up, finishing the rest of her drink.
“Yeah. I’m sure.”
“But you love me, though.”
“Yes, I do, Cede. That’s for sure.”

A smile crosses her face. “At least are trying to come up the right way and make something of yourself,” She acknowledges. “That’s why I started making the moves I make. I know you don’t approve, but I’m tired of struggling, so I’m doing what I have to do.”
“You don’t actually, but I already know where you stand, so, it is what it is.”
“These people out here aren’t going to give you a fair shake, Rico. They don’t play fair. It’s dog-eat-dog, kill or be killed,” she says. “Some of our own family members look down us because we’re not as fortunate. Stuck-up bastards.”
“Yeah, I know.”
“Like aunt Carmela and aunt Eva. Carmela stays on the good side of Brooklyn, and Evelyn is in Manhattan,” She says. “We would have family gatherings every year and I started to hate them as I got older.”
“Why?”
“You know why, Rico. Carmela always turned her nose up at us; she would always look at us as if we crapped our underwear,” She responds. “She had no idea how much I wanted to punch in her fucking face. She and a few others would— whenever we did something, me particularly— just shake their heads.”
“Yeah, I remember that, too.”
“It was like we could never do anything right in their sights. Anything you did, those uppity bitches would shake their damn heads. I wanted to snag ‘em with an uppercut. I was like, ‘What the fuck are you shaking your fucking head for?’ Stupid motherfuckers. They looked like human bobble-head dolls they shook their heads so damn much.”

Rico laughs heartily. “I’m not laughing because I think it’s funny; what you’re saying is true, unfortunately. It’s the way you’re saying it. You always tickled me when you get fired up.”
“It was infuriating, Rico. Eva came up and forgot what it was like to be on this side. She started her career, moved to Manhattan, and started looking down on us, too. You remember that comment she made?”
“What comment?”
“One of the last family reunions we went to before mama finally allowed us the option of not going if we didn’t want to, thank goodness, we were all in the dining room and Eva made that sly remark about mom and I being dressed alike and moving us to another family.”
“She was joking.”
“Bullshit, Rico! She knew what she was saying. That’s what she wanted you to think.” She replies. “You know we never were wealthy; then dad was coping with the loss of his job at the time, money was scarce, so we didn’t have the best clothes and what not. We stood out compared to other family members, and not in a good way. It was a slick way of saying we didn’t belong because we were broke and struggling. It was a low-key cheap shot disguised as a joke.”
“Gotcha.”
 “I caught what she was trying to say back then. Mind you, I did nothing to her, and that motherfucker took a shot at me. When she said it, I was thinking, ‘bitch, fuck you,’ but, of course, I would’ve been seen as taking everything to heart, plus, you know me cussing out aunt Eva wouldn’t have went too well with mama and papi.”
“No, it wouldn’t have,” Rico agrees. “One of the rare times you kept your cool, although I’m sure it showed on your face.”
“You’re probably right. What kills me about them is they can say whatever they want to us, don’t care if they offended us or not, but we shoot something back at them, the game changes. ‘That was uncalled for,’ ‘Y’all take stuff the wrong way,’ and everything else.”
“She always was on the disgruntled side.”
“One of the main reasons she’s like that is because she’s sexually frustrated.”
Rico laughs. “Wow. Sexually frustrated?”
“She’s mad at the world because nobody’s checking for her Shrek-looking, awkward-built ass.”
Rico busts out laughing. “Wow. OMG, Cede. OMG.”
“Calling it like I see it.”
“Well, she has one kid, so somebody was drunk enough to hit that.”
“Yeah, for some reason. Selena was a cute little kid, I haven’t seen her since she was four. She was so friendly. Too bad her mom wasn’t that way. She could’ve learned something.”
“I hear you. I was there with you, so I know how you feel.”
Mercedes sighs. “I know. Well, I know you have things to do, so I won’t keep you.”
“Nah, you’re good. I always have time for you, sis.”
“Nah, I’m tired anyway. I’m going to bed. Buenas noches, bro.”
Buenas noches, sis.”

***
After checking out a movie, Mercedes, Jasmine, and Jennifer go hanging out at the Mi Casita Lounge for some drinks.
“Chica, why you always have to dress like that?” Jennifer questions. “The guys would see your 34-DDs if you were wearing a blanket, but do you always have to show them your ‘Colombian Peaks,’ as you call them?”
Mercedes rolls her eyes. “Why are you worried about it?”
“It can attract the wrong type of attention. That’s the only reason these guys come to you.”
“What’s wrong with that? They can come— and cum again after seeing them, if you know what I mean— that doesn’t mean they’re going to get it.”
“Yeah, well some guys will try to take it.”
“That’s okay, that’s why I carry my twin peaks,” Mercedes responds, slightly raising up her short denim skirt where the hem stops just at her thighs, revealing two Smith & Wesson 9MM pistols. “Well, that, and just in case some other shit jumps off.”
“Girl, what’s wrong with you? You are you crazy?” Jennifer asks, talking below a whisper, gesturing for Mercedes to hurry up and cover up her guns. “Anyway. So, all you have in your closet is a wife beater and short jean skirts?”
“No, I have dresses. I just don’t want to wear them. I’m comfortable in these,” Mercedes responds. “C’mon Jenny, relax. Besides, the way I see it, if you got it, flaunt it. I mean, you and Jazzy aren’t A cups, either. We’re the BTC.”
“Yes, I remember. The Big Titty Committee.” Jennifer responds, smiling and shaking her head.
“Yep. The opposite of the Itty-Bitty Titty Committee.” Jasmine laughs.
“Those bitches used to hate on us bad.” Mercedes says.
“For real.” Jasmine says. “They used to get so butthurt. Don’t blame us because we’ve been gifted. I wasn’t ashamed then, and I’m not today.”
“Speaking of them, have you ever noticed how they wear revealing clothes more than we do?” Mercedes asks rhetorically. “Girl, it tickles me pink. I mean, they don’t have shit to show. They can jump up and down and nothing bounces.”
Jennifer laughs. “Trust me, I’m not ashamed of mine, either. I’m just saying.”
“Yeah, you’re saving yours for my brother.” Mercedes replies.
“You know what? Yes, I like your brother, so what?” Jennifer responds. “If I wanna date him, I’ll date him, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Mercedes sits up. “No?”
“No.” Jennifer responds.
“What if I said I’ll pistol whip you if you go anywhere near him?”
Jennifer rolls her eyes and sucks her teeth. “You ain’t gonna do shit.”
“Oh yeah?”
“Yeah.”
“C’mon girls, don’t start with that,” Jasmine says. “We came here to chill and have a good time, remember?”
“Yeah, you’re right,” Mercedes acknowledges. “You know she burns my ass sometimes.”
“You’re not a walk in the park, yourself.” Jennifer responds.
“Girls, chill!” Jasmine retorts.

As Mercedes and Jennifer start to bicker, three guys approach their table. One is black, the other is white, and the third is a Puerto Rican. The black guy is wearing V-Neck shirt with black wind pants, the white guy a Star Wars t-shirt with blue denim jeans, and the Puerto Rican a plaid shirt with dark blue denim jeans.

“Hey, I’m Tyler.” The black guy says.
“I’m Conner.” The white guy says.
“I’m Alonso.” The Puerto Rican says.
“Hello fellas.” The ladies say in unison.
 “Are you girls waiting for someone?”  Tyler asks.
“No, we’re by ourselves tonight.” Mercedes replies.
“Would you girls like some company?” asks Alonso.
“No, no thanks. Not tonight, fellas.” Jasmine replies with a pleasant smile.
“Right. We’re just here to chill tonight.” Jennifer concurs.
“Sort of like a ladies’ night out, huh?” Tyler asks.
“Something like that.” Mercedes replies.
“Besides, we don’t plan on being here very long, in fact, we will be leaving shortly.” Jasmine says.
“Yeah, we have plans later on.” Mercedes inserts.
“Okay, cool. We can be a part of those plans.” Tyler says.
Mercedes sizes him up momentarily, then chuckles. “Not tonight, fellas.”
“Sorry.” Jasmine says to them as they get up to leave.
Three young ladies notice the interaction from afar and are walking over as Mercedes and her crew are leaving.
“Hold up. Did you just pass up those dudes for whatever reason?” One of them asks Mercedes.
“Ummm, yeah. Why?” Mercedes responds matter-of-factly.
“Seriously?”
“Seriously. Me and my girls have other plans.”
“What kind of plans y’all have like that?” Another girl asks Mercedes.

This prompts one of the girls to start laughing so hard, tears are coming down her face as she quickly makes her way to the restroom, the third woman trailing her, the woman who questioned them right behind her. They’re laughing so hard that it’s heard by Mercedes and Jennifer, who is enraged.
“What happened?” A confused Jasmine asks.

“Those bitches are in there laughing at us.” Mercedes says. She looks at Jennifer. “You wanna go find out what’s so damn funny?”
“Let’s ride.” Jennifer concurs.

As they’re making their way to the restroom, Jasmine hurriedly jumps in front of them.
“Girls, girls. Don’t worry about it,” She pleads. She looks at Mercedes. “Remember the plan you said you wanted to talk to us about?”
While Jasmine is trying to get cooler heads to prevail, Mercedes and Jennifer both are still trying to get to the restroom. It was Jasmine’s reminder about the plan Mercedes has in mind that makes them stop.
“Yeah, that’s true.” Mercedes reluctantly agrees. “That’s the only reason I’m letting it go. Girls let’s get out of here. Forget those pendejos. Silly ass bitches.”
“Two of them were those itty-bitty motherfuckers we were just talking about.” Jennifer includes.
They’re laughing as they exit the lounge.

***
“Now what’s this plan you’re talking about?” Jasmine enquires.
“I thought of a way we all could all eat.” Mercedes responds.
“How, pray tell?” Jennifer wonders.
“Well, there’s this new name that has been buzzing around the neighborhood lately. The past several months, actually,” Mercedes says. “Been stacking some mad dough, I’ve heard.”
“How did you find out about him?” Jasmine asks.
“I have ears; I hear things,” Mercedes responds. “Not much gets past me on these streets. And it’s not a ‘he,’ it’s a ‘she.’”
“She? Is it who I think you’re talking about?” Jennifer asks.
“Perhaps. She’s known around theses blocks as ‘Mamacita.’” Mercedes says.
“You mean Lucy Luna?” Jennifer asks. “What are you gonna do?”
“Well, let’s just say I plan on making her share the wealth.” Mercedes says.
“Oooo, I don’t know about that, Cede,” Jasmine skeptically responds. “Are you sure you wanna try to hit up Lucy Luna?”
“Have I ever been unsure?” Mercedes asks rhetorically.
Jennifer sighs. “You have pulled some crazy shit in your lifetime, Mercedes Santa Cruz, but this one takes the cake. Are you out of your damn mind?!”
“Hey, Jennifer, Jasmine, look at me,” Mercedes demands. “Look into my eyes. Real talk. As long as you two have known me, when have I ever been scared to do something that I set my mind to? Don’t ever question Mercedes Santa Cruz; don’t ever question my balls. Ever! I don’t even have balls, and I still have balls! That’s how I roll!”
“I’m not questioning your ‘balls,’ I’m questioning your intellect.” Jennifer responds.
“You don’t have to do this, Cede.” Jasmine says.
“Yes, I do. I’m tired of struggling. In order to get ahead in this world, you have to be on the take,” Mercedes says, snapping her fingers on the last term for emphasis. “You’re either predator or prey. Kill or killed.”
“You’ve lost your mind, Toni Montana,” Jennifer responds. “Are we still going to your place?”
“Yeah, why?” Mercedes inquires.
“I’d rather finish this discussion there, if you don’t mind. Too many folks lurking around out here.”
“Sure. Whatever.”

***
It’s 2:00 in the morning; Rico is sleeping when he’s suddenly awakened by loud, high-pitched arguing. “Ahhh, shit,” He mumbles and groans, sitting up in his bed. “Jennifer must be here.”
He gets out of the bed, walks over to the entryway of Mercedes’ room. The door is shut; he slightly cracks open the door and watches the kerfuffle unfold in disgust.

“Mercedes, what you’re about to do is fucking crazy. Don’t do this.” Jennifer warns.
“I’m going to do what I have to, Jen, and I don’t care what you think of it.” Mercedes responds. “To be honest, I don’t remember asking for your approval, anyway.”
“Oh, you have an attitude?” Jennifer questions.
“Yes, you got a problem with it?”
Jennifer takes a deep breath to maintain her patience. “I’m doing this because I care. I don’t wanna see you get hurt.”
“I’ll be fine, Jennifer.”
“So you say.”
“You’re not my fucking mom!”
“Look, Mercedes. I’m not Jasmine. I’m your motherfucking friend. I’m not scared of you, bitch.”

Mercedes walks closer. She points and briefly holds her middle finger in the space between her and Jennifer’s face. “You know what? I guess we are friends. That’s the only reason I didn’t put one between your eyes just now.”
“That’s the only reason I didn’t slap your ass through that wall for flipping me off.”
“The fuck you wanna do?” Mercedes asks, spreading her arms out, walking towards Jennifer.
“Cut that shit out!” Rico demands. “It’s too early in the morning for that. People are trying to sleep.”
Their attention turns to Rico.
“Rico, I’m sorry you had to hear that,” Jennifer says. “I think I better leave.”
“No, let’s finish this!” Mercedes says, trailing Jennifer as she’s walking out of the room.
“Mercedes, chill.” Rico says, who stops her when she gets to the entryway.
“Fuck you! Don’t come back here!”
Jennifer stops at the entryway of the front door, turning her attention to Mercedes. “You don’t mean that.”
“Like fuck I don’t. Stay the fuck out of my life.”
Tears run down Jennifer’s face. “If you say so, Mercedes.” She slams the door behind her.
“I think I’d better leave, too.” Jasmine says. “Good night, Rico. See you later, Cede.”
“Good night, Jasmine.” Rico responds.
As the door closes, Mercedes falls into her brother’s arms, bawling her eyes out, as he hugs and comforts her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...