Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Interview with Best-Selling Author Rikenya Hunter


With back-to-back interviews, EA: Creatively Creative kicks off the month of August where it left off in July. Tonight, the author spotlight shines on an author whose most recent novel, Shawty Got Me Tryna Wife Her is ranked in the top 10 on Amazon for Urban Fiction/Romance. Tonight, I have the pleasure of speaking with Rikenya Hunter.

EA: When did you discover a passion for writing?

RH: I discovered my passion for writing at a very young age. I was in middle school when I started keeping a daily personal journal and kept it until the age of twenty one.

EA: What is the concept of Shawty Got Me Tryna Wife Her?

RH: The concept of Shawty Got Me Tryna Wife Her is really about sisterhood, family and the overall strength that these unions bring. It’s completely fictional and was created by free writing. Twin sisters, Camilla and Lauren have it rough, living with a foster family that isn’t particularly good to them. One of them, Lauren, rebels and doesn’t care how her actions affect those around her, mainly her sister. Camilla is the complete opposite and tries to go with the flow and follow the rules. I find this to be true in many real families! The two later meet a pair of cousins, and their lives change entirely.

EA: Who, if any, were your biggest influences to become a writer?

RH: Before I was a writer, I was an avid reader. I always enjoyed reading urban books, my biggest influence being Eric Jerome Dickey. I read his work all throughout high-school and it just stuck with me. I was going through my own journals one day and realized that writing is just telling stories about real life. It’s a way to showcase truthful and real situations with fictional characters and the light bulb went off. I wrote my first book at the age of twenty-five and here I am with over twenty books published!

EA: Would you say that the process of writing a novel is easy?

RH: The process of writing a novel comes fairly easy to me, but there are times when I do get writers block! If the story falls in-line the process is easy. I have a huge imagination and the stories are just waiting to be told. Anyone who writes a book should give themselves a pat on the back because it is a major accomplishment!

EA:  In your books, exactly how do you lead readers along the path as a participant of the story instead of an observer?

RH: To have my readers become participants vs. observers, I describe the scenes and smells. I speak the language that they speak and uncover and explain the feelings of my characters so that they feel like they're involved personally. I have had so many readers tell me that they once “were that person” or that they know someone like that character. I try to make the stories and situations as real as possible.

EA: Are there any upcoming projects?

RH: Yes!  Thanks for asking! I'm currently working on Part 2 of Shawty Got Me Tryna Wife Her, which will be released this month as well as the finale of The Consequences of Loving a Real One, which will also be released this month.

EA: What do you look to achieve mainly as an author?

RH: I want to continue to touch people who read my work and as a result, gain a larger readership. As I continue, I want to grow as a writer and have more to contribute.

EA:  What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

RH: Never give up! Being a writer is extremely rewarding, so see it through. Also, focus on those who support you, not those who don’t.

EA: I understand that you're also working towards your Bachelor's degree. Is it difficult balancing writing and school?

RH:  It's not difficult for me to balance writing with school. I'm a mother of two young girls so multi-tasking is something that I'm VERY familiar with!


EA: Finally, tell the readers why Shawty Got Me Tryna Wife Her is a must buy.

RH: Shawty Got Me Tryna Wife Her is a must buy because it's filled with mystery, unexpected events, people you’ll be able to identify with and, of course, it's an absolute page turner. Even though this novel is fiction, I touch on situations that happen in everyday life that we know about, but don’t always talk about, such as abandonment issues, addictions and family secrets, but don't take my word for it, see for yourself. Purchase Here! Thank you for the support!

Epilogue

I agree with Rikenya's advice, but with a twist. You definitely want to focus on and acknowledge those who support you, however, you can use a certain type of focus for those who don't. In other words, use them as an extra source of motivation. Those days when you want to give up, think of their skepticism and nay saying, galvanize, and keep moving forward.

Of course, this doesn't work for all individuals. Everyone is different, so whatever focus it takes, as long as it's constructive. I would like to thank Rikenya for speaking with me. For more on Rikenya, and her novels, visit her website at  http://www.RikenyaHunter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...