Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

4,000 Views Edition: Interview with Best-Selling Author K.L. Hall


EA Creatively Creative's author spotlight shines on one whose book series, Diary of a Hood Princess was a best-seller, has been featured on radio interviews, press releases, and was named one of the top Urban Fiction authors of 2016 by the Urban Books, Authors and Writers of America. Tonight, I had the opportunity to speak with that very author, K.L. Hall.

EA: When did you discover your love for writing?

KL: If you ask my mother, she would probably tell you I picked up a pencil before I could walk! I think I really discovered my love for writing in elementary school. My teacher actually had us write and illustrate our own books, which was a very amazing experience, looking back.

EA: What is the concept of Broken Condoms and Promises 2?

KL: Broken Condoms and Promises 2 is the sequel of Broken Condoms and Promises. This series centers around three main characters, Siya, Eshari and Cassidy. These three ladies' worlds are turned upside down one year shy of their thirtieth birthdays. Readers will definitely be able to connect to the characters as they ride with them through their ups and downs.

EA: Is this last installment of the series?

KL: This is the second installment. I'm currently working on part three, which will be the final installment in the series.

EA: Would you say that the process of writing a novel is easy?

KL: Absolutely not! In fact, I think it takes a very special person to be a storyteller. To be able to sit and create all of these characters, scenarios, dialogues, etc. As an author, you're essentially creating a whole new world for your readers to explore, and that's far from easy.

EA: What was it like being featured on radio interviews?

KL: Nerve wrecking. Exhilarating. Humbling.

EA: Describe the feeling of being acknowledged as one of top Urban Fiction authors of 2016.

KL: So let me tell you how I found out. It was New Years Eve, almost 11pm. I get on Facebook and see people sharing the post and thanking the voters. I was like okay, let me check this out. I click on the link and I'm scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, then BAM! There's my name! I screamed and told everyone who was in the living room with me and we went OFF! It was so freeing. I put in sooooo much work in 2016, dropping 6 books! I just felt like my hard work really paid off and I was getting the recognition I deserved.

EA: Are there any upcoming projects?

KL: Absolutely! There's always something cooking in the lab with me. The first book to my new series (book 15) comes out in early August. I'm also working on finishing Broken Condoms and Promises 3.

EA: What do you aspire to achieve mostly as an author?

KL: Recognition. I definitely want to continue to get my name out there more. But overall, my main goal is to give my readers a GOOD story from cover to cover. I want them to be able to see themselves in my characters, as well as their best friends, boyfriends, husbands, grandmas and aunties! When people see my name anywhere, I want them to automatically say ‘Damn, I know this is about to be a good story.’


EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

KL: Don't give up. This industry is hard and it will break you if you let it. You've got to have tough skin. If you're doing it solely for the money, stop now. You've really got to love what you do in order to give the readers what they want. The art of storytelling is a blessing, and not everyone can do it. If you've got the talent, use it.

EA: Finally, tell the readers why the Broken Condoms and Promises series is a must read.

KL: Although the title may be a little "risqué," it's an amazing, down-to-earth read that almost anyone can get behind. You've had heartbreak, friend drama, man problems. You can relate to this series. I also love this series because it touches on financial issues, suicide, homosexuality and other things that may not be openly discussed in our communities today. Oh, and let's not forget, I still brought the drama!

Epilogue

Very sound advice from K.L. For me, the art of writing and storytelling is a gift from the Most High, and is truly a passion of mine. As I've stated before, no, it's not neuroscience, but there's a skill and technique to it like every other occupation. She's absolutely right; not everyone can do this. I'll admit, my goal is to continue to flourish and establish my career as an author, so financial rewards is a factor, but it is far from the main reason why I do what I do.

I really enjoyed my conversation with K.L., and I thank her for stopping by to speak with me. If you would like to know more about K.L. Hall, or would like to try more of her novels, you can visit her website at  www.authorklhall.com. A final word from K.L.: Follow me on social media and sign up for my email list here: http://goo.gl/l6IMUp

Twitter: @authorklhall
Instagram: @authorklhall
Facebook: www.facebook.com/authorklhall 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...