Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Interview with Poet & Author Shanet Outing


Today's guest has been published in the Creative Communication's poetry book in 2007 and 2009.She has published three poems in contribution to Farmingdale Senior High School Labyrinth Volume One Spring 2009 and Volume Two Spring 2010. Her work has also been featured on the July 2017 edition cover of UBAWA magazine. I introduce poet, artist, and author, Shanet Outing.

LL: Welcome to the Literature Lounge.

SO: Thank you so much for having me. It is a pleasure!

LL: Have you always been a lover of poetry?

SO: Yes I have. I began writing lyrics in the 3rd grade. I would create the melodies in my head. The lyrics as I got older transitioned into poetry and journal writing. I began heavily writing poetry and journaling in middle school. I have over 20 journals that range from teenage years into adulthood. I have huge binder full of lyrics; I remember how each song is supposed to sound like. Well almost every song. Lol.

LL: Name some of your biggest influences.

SO: I loved Maya Angelou growing up; especially her autobiography books. I enjoyed Langston Hughes and how eloquently he can tell you to live your life purpose before you die. I loved discovering Edgar Allen Poe thanks to the English teachers in school. The way Poe captivated me on his melancholy about life through his writing. Ellen Hopkins is another of my favorite growing up. The way she writes a story is different. It reminds me of vignette poetry. My high school teacher at the time Ms. Paladino told me some of my writing reminded her of vignettes. Those are some of the key writers I enjoyed growing up.

LL: In 2005, you received recognition for your artworks entitled Snowflake and Vogue of Colors. Between 2007-2010, you were published on several platforms; Creative Communications poetry book being one of them. Describe the feeling of these early accomplishments in your life.

SO: It was an unexpected feeling. It is the year 2005. I remember being at the Youth Center located on Fort Dix, NJ and the director telling me I won nationals. I beat everyone! When I painted the picture at the time the girl I painted was me. I felt at times broken and out of place. I remember everyone  being so excited because it was like something huge for the Youth Center, the day I received the plaque in front of everyone. I still have the picture, the recognition letter, and of course the plaque. That day made me realize I have the ability to create art. As far as my High School writing career it kicked off more my Senior year during creative writing class. I was able to create more stories and that is where the title of my first book was created.

LL: Tell us more about Mind, Body and Soul of a Teenage Intellect.

SO: It is my life story in a way. I started the collection at the age of 12 so you’re looking into my development growing up as a teenager. Living in different circumstances and going through a range of emotions. It is amazing to read and process the growth. I know many can resonate to the poems and it may trigger their own experiences growing up. To those who can’t relate just enjoy the ride. You will still benefit from reading the poetry and be able to sympathize.

LL: What inspired you to write it?

SO: Writing was and still is my therapy. When I would go through a tough time especially with family dynamics. Writing was my way to vent and get those thoughts out of me without being disrespectful to anyone. I truly believe writing saved me from many breakdowns. It was me writing to the inner child and she responded back.

LL: What exactly is the difference between this book and the other book of a similar title, Mind, Body and Soul: The Lyrics?

SO: The difference between Mind, Body, and Soul of a Teenage Intellect and Mind, Body and Soul: The Lyrics is the second book consists of the songs I wrote. I felt, hey, if I cannot get them recorded like I want to, I am going to publish my lyrics and just put them out there. I want people to enjoy reading my lyrics.

LL: What's next for Shanet Outing?

SO: What is next for me is creating grief  books for children who have lost someone close to them. What inspired that is the passing of my second born son Cairo Brown on July 27th, 2018. I am bringing awareness as well to Sudden Unexplained Death in Childhood (SUDC) and the SUDC Foundation. I currently have a children’s book available through My Litle Story Publishing titled Your Hair is Beautiful. It is all about children embracing their natural beauty. I will also be dropping an erotica poetry book Valentine’s Day 2019. So, be on the look out for that. It is for the mature audience out there. I am branching off in many ways creatively.

LL: What advice would you give to aspiring poets?

SO: To keep writing and take a chance. You never know who out there needs to read your words to get through the day. Don’t worry about the book sales. It is about creating your legacy and making a mark on the world. Once it is written it exists.

LL: Finally, tell the readers why Mind, Body and Soul of a Teenage Intellect is a must-read.

SO: It is a must read because you witness growth of an adolescent girl into womanhood. This woman is still learning and growing. The poetry is sectioned into years. The reader is able to experience how each year started and ended for me. It is a quick read and a book you would want to read till the end. Get you a copy today to experience my roller coaster ride.

Epilogue

If I had a quarter for every time I've heard a writer say that writing is therapeutic for them, myself included, I would be a millionaire-- or a thousandaire, at least. Following up on Shanet's advice, if writing is truly what you aspire to do, I definitely concur to keep writing and putting your work out there. I think in anything you venture in, you should focus on creating your legacy and blazing your own trail, versus emulating others or following trends.

I thank Shanet once again for joining me in the Literary Lounge this evening. For more on Shanet and her books, visit her website in the link below.

Author Shanet: Shanet Outing

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to my beautiful PenSister Shanet Outing on a wonderfully inspiring interview. I wish you continued success on your upcoming projects and can’t wait to support!

    As always, great interview Edward Anthony!

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...