Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Interview with Author Shantel Williams


EA: Creatively Creative is back with yet another interview. My guest tonight is an upcoming author who is looking to change the face of the Urban Fiction game. I introduce Shantel Williams.

EA: Thank you for joining me today.

SW: Thank you for having me. 

EA: For starters, tell us about your journey to becoming an author.

SW: Well, I always wanted to be an author ever since I was a child. I was professionally published in the year 2015. My first publisher reached out to me and I never written an adult novel at the time. I always wrote YA novels. However, I wrote my first urban fiction novel, Street Soldier and sent it in and got signed. It happened really fast, but I've learned a lot so far. 

EA: Who were your biggest influences?

SW: I have so many. An author named, Ni-Ni Simone, she inspired me to write my first novel. I also enjoyed books from Alice Walker, Sister Souljah, Lois Duncan, Terry McMillan, and the list goes on. 

EA: You said that one of your goals as an author is to bring a freshness back to the Urban Fiction genre. Do you think the genre has become stagnant?

SW: Yes I do. I think it's because this genre has become so competitive. Also a lot of authors write the same because it makes them money. I always talk about how important it is for authors to find their own voices and own writing style. Also not to feel pressured to write a certain way. 

EA: Would you tell us about your latest novel, Love Songs and Bullets?

SW: This is book is one of my favorite novels I've written. It's a book about four women who come from different backgrounds and they are thrown into the crazy music industry. Since their lives are becoming public due to growing fame it forces them to face personal demons of their own. 

EA: Do you think the process of writing a story is easy?

SW: Not at all, lol. Writing a book is one of the most mentally challenging things a person can do. As an author I constantly question myself, I put a lot of pressure on myself. I want every book I write to be a great piece of literature. While it's hard, it is very rewarding and it can be fun. 

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

SW: Start writing! The most important step is to write and don't worry about making the book perfect on the first draft. I think of first drafts like building a house. Just get the foundation down first and then fix it the way you want it. Find your writing identity and stand by it. Everyone will not like your work, it comes with the territory but if you truly love to write, then keep at it.


EA: Finally, tell the readers why Love Songs and Bullets is a must-read.

SW: This book is a must-read because it holds so many messages. I speak on mental issues, colorism, rape, alcoholism, body image issues, domestic violence, drug abuse, etc. It covers a lot of important topics. Even though it's an entertaining book, it's also heavy. This book will leave you on the edge of your seat, it will take a reader on an emotional roller-coaster.


Epilogue

This sounds like a re-run from my last post. I too was professionally published starting back to 2015. As a writer/author, it's essential to find your own voice and writing style, don't write or feel pressured to write something because it's the in-thing. Writing is definitely more challenging than some-- this comes from particularly those who don't write-- may think. It's a skill like anything else, and the writer is constantly pushing to create a top-of-the-line story.

I thank Shantel once again for joining me. Check out more of Shantel's works and follow her on social media by visiting the links below.

Facebook Author Page: Shantel Williams
Goodreads: Shantel N. Williams




No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...