Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Interview with Author Bridget Bundy


It's been a long time, or it sure seems that way. Due to undertaking various projects, I've been on a brief hiatus. Nevertheless, EA: Creatively Creative returns after a quiet December and (most of) January. She's the writer of books such as the Women of Privilege series, introducing author, Bridget Bundy.

EA: How did your journey as an author begin?

BB: As with most authors, my journey began with a dream. I wanted to be an author ever since I was a kid. I don't remember who exactly inspired me, but I knew that's what I wanted to do. My first book, Fragile but Strong, was published by Authorhouse in 2001. It was a pay-to-publish deal, not exactly what I wanted to do, but I was excited for the chance to finally have my book available for sale. I was really proud of that moment.

EA: Who would you say are the biggest influences in your life and career?

BB: My family has been so wonderful and supportive. My husband paid to have my first book published. He practically made my dreams come true. My daughter has read some of my books. She's very honest with her reviews, has great ideas, and I turn to her for ideas sometimes. My mom is my biggest champion. She's read all of my books and wants me to keep publishing. My sister is always asking what I've written lately and when will it be published. She gets more excited about what I write than I do. As you can tell, I've got plenty of cheerleaders and a solid foundation, and I'm grateful to them.

EA: Your Women of Privilege series caught my attention. Would you tell us the concept behind it?

BB: Women of Privilege is a soap-opera like series about wealthy women who live in an upscale neighborhood in Georgia. They're all neighbors and somewhat know each other. Told in first person, the stories are meant to fully bring you into their lives. Gia, the first book in the series, is after the man she always loved, and she does a lot of things to try to get him. She's also very dangerous, conniving, and hotheaded. In the second story, Rachel is a trapped woman in a loveless marriage, doing whatever it takes to survive. The next book is Joslyn. She's the homebody, the busybody, the want-to-be in control type of woman. Everything she does is for her family, but in her story, she runs a huge risk of losing it all. Her son was kidnapped. Her husband was almost killed. She risks a lot to save them.

Each story can be read as a standalone. I tried not to have any cliffhangers, but there are twists at the end of each book. Women of Privilege is one of my favorite series. I'm not sure if it's complete yet, but the women's individual story lines will not be continued.

EA: Do you think writing a novel is easy?

BB: Writing a novel can be daunting. Details are important. Keeping them straight is even more important. Homonyms can be tricky. Trying to stay consistent when it comes to past tense and present tense can make you a little crazy. Then there's keeping track of the little quirks of the characters, the scenery, the weather, time of day, time of year. The list is endless. I guess my answer is no, Edward, a novel is not easy to write, but I loooove it!

EA: What can readers expect next from Bridget Bundy? Are there any current or future projects?

BB: Great question! I'm excited to announce that I've completed my next story in the Seeker Series. It's a fantasy about an African American witch who searches for lost charms and solves mysteries. I won't announce the title yet. Expected release date will be July 1, 2018, unless I feel the manuscript isn't ready. Also, I plan on writing the final book to the Tanie Howard Series, working title will be The Last Stand. It'll bring closure to that series. I'm also thinking about writing under a new pen name and submitting my work to a vanity publisher, but that goal is farther down the road.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

BB: First things first. Travel, go to places you haven't been. It can be anywhere or any place. Paris. Egypt. Sydney, Australia. Visit a museum. Go to Disney World. Take a cruise. Go fly-fishing. Do some skydiving. In other words, get out there and discover what you can bring to the paper.

Read books you wouldn't normally read. Find those exceptional authors who knows how to pen a story. You'll know them when you read them.

Keep a notebook on you at all times and write down ideas and outlines. Then when you start writing, don't confine your work to that outline. Think outside the box.

Write. Write. Write. Read. Read. Read. Live and learn. Learn and live.

After you finish your book, edit your work. Re-edit your work. HIRE AN EDITOR. I have reviews where readers are angry because I didn't hire an editor. I know you're excited to get your brand new book out to the public and say you're a 'published author,' but you've got time, God willing. Just don't publish shotty work. BE PATIENT, BE VIGILANT. Readers can tell when your book is rushed. They can tell when it hasn't been edited. They can tell when you just want a quick buck. Take the time with your craft, and make sure it's your best before you publish it.

Find someone you trust, be it an editor or proofreader or beta reader, and ask them to read it and be completely honest about your writing. There are some who can't bear to say your work needs improvement. They love everything you do, no matter how many errors they've seen. Don't let them read your book before you publish. They're not helping. You need a reality check. Find someone who gives constructive criticism, not harmful or hateful critiques, and get back to work to improve your project.

Lastly, blaze your own path. Don't do what everyone else does. Don't write the same old story. Write smart. Write sassy. Find that something new under the sun that no one else has thought of.

 EA: Finally, tell the readers why the Women of Privilege series is a must-read.

BB: It's all about the ladies. In all their faults and triumphs, you get to see what makes them tick, what's important to them. Gia is about love and money. Rachel is about survival and learning self-worth. Joslyn's heart is family and fighting with every atom in her body to save them. Readers might identify with all of them or just one of them, but these ladies are all fighting for their lives, one way or another. And, like I wrote before, each story has a twist. I hope the readers won't be able to guess.

Epilogue

In-depth advice from Bridget. I absolutely agree; I've said in similar words myself that writers should blaze their own trail, instead of emulating other writers, or going with the trends. I do believe that if one takes the route of getting a test reader, it's important that it's someone who will give honest, fair critiques, not butter up the author, telling them what they want to hear, but not destructive, spiteful criticism either.

One should take their time when crafting their work. At some point, you want to be done with the project, so that you can relax and take a break, or move on to the next project, but my philosophy is creativity shouldn't be rushed.

I would like to thank Bridget for taking the time to speak with me. Here is the link to the entire series on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H5W23W/ref=series_rw_dp_sw. (eBook only)

1 comment:

  1. Great article on a amazing author. I'm so looking forward to more work from her including the Seeker Series. It's a must read!

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...