Support Me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Interview with Author Lauren Chow


In the second of back-to-back interviews, I sat down with a writer who started writing her first novel, Chosen, as a junior in high school. She's (currently) the youngest author ever interviewed by EA: Creatively Creative, Lauren Chow.

EA: What inspired you to become a writer? Are there any authors who further inspired you to write?

LC: I have always been a daydreamer. There was always a story happening in my head, whether if it was about everyday life or fantasy. Reading books from different authors such as Shelly Crane, Alexia Praks, Kristie Cook, and Kaitlyn Hoyt, not only increased these ideas but developed them. These daydreams inspired me to write them out on paper. Writing almost seems like my dream diary to me.

EA: Who are your biggest influences?

LC: There are multiple influences in my life when it comes to my writing. A lot of my ideas came from different books I read throughout the years, such as The Prophesized Series by Kaitlyn Hoyt, Dorothy Must Die by Rebecca Elise, and Red Dawn by Alicia Michaels. These books made me think of different plots and stories. The person who really influenced me was my high school English teacher, Ms. Winder. I always loved her passion for English and she has taught me a lot about grammar. In class, we read multiple novels, plays, and myths that helped develop my stories. I wouldn’t have been able to create my stories without her.

EA: Would you consider writing a novel to be easy?

LC: Writing a novel does not happen in a day. First, you need an idea, which is easier said than done. There’s so many ideas you would want to write about and it can overwhelm you at times. Once you have an idea, you use it to develop the plot and characters. When I was writing Chosen, it took me weeks to figure out how I wanted a chapter to play out. Writer’s block is a huge issue an author has when writing a novel. There could be plot holes, bad development, or the story can seem unoriginal. I have redone Chosen multiple times so I could make it an original story.

EA: What is the concept of Chosen?

LC: Chosen is about a girl named Clara Evans who was being bullied and harassed by her classmates. She becomes isolated and is known as the “Freak” of her town called Ford, where her foster parents care more about their reputation than her needs. Clara was counting down the days when she would graduate and leave Ford for good. However, things begin to change for her when a transfer student named Jay Woods, joins her school. If things couldn’t get any stranger, when Clara reached her eighteenth birthday, she discovers that she has been chosen by fate to stop a civil war. Fate has then graced her with magic powers to stop the reigning darkness from taking over the world and enslaving the humans. With the help of new friends, Clara trains and prepares herself for the final battle to come.

EA: Were there any overwhelming thoughts or feelings, writing and having your first book published at such a young age?

LC: I started writing when I was sixteen years old. I never thought anyone would read my work. Imagine my surprise when I started to gain fans. It was a shock that thousands of people were reading my work and encouraged me to write. I am forever grateful for their support or else I wouldn’t be here. When Inkitt said they wanted to make a publishing deal, I had to reread my email multiple times to make sure it was real. I was only seventeen years old when they took interest in my story. To me, having my book published didn’t seem realistic for me, especially at my age. To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. I still am. However, I am proud of what I have accomplished and I feel like this is my first step into adulthood.

EA: I understand that you're currently enrolled in California Lutheran University, studying to become an art therapist. Would you educate the readers on what that profession entails?

LC: Sure! This profession is for someone who is passionate about art and social science. Art therapy is a therapeutic method to improve one’s physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Instead of sitting and talking, an art therapist encourages you to draw and paint. It’s a creative process to resolve issues artistically. For an art therapist, their job is to help you find the hidden meanings behind your artwork and help uncover unresolved issues. It helps control your behavior and feelings, self-esteem, and reduces stress.

EA: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

LC: If you put the work into your story, you will go far with your writing. Don’t write something you think others will like so your story will become popular, write something original that you want to write about. I learned that the hard way with all of my stories. It takes a lot of time and effort, but eventually, it will all be worth it. Always be proud of your work!

EA: Finally, tell the readers why Chosen is a must buy.

LC: Chosen is a book that relates to everyone, especially teenagers. This book has action, magic, humor, romance, and teaches you to love yourself. The main theme I tried to express is the idea of self-worth. In my story, you see the main character question her potential constantly, even when others contradict her. There are always trials in our lives and I believe we all have questioned our worth. This book can relate to these issues and hopefully send a message to the readers.

Epilogue

Till this day, I constantly envision a story, its characters, how everything is going to play out, and making sure the story makes sense. From Lauren's description of art therapy, writing could be very well be included in that process. Writing is very therapeutic; it is an option where an author can vent and resolve issues, in this case. It can help others who can relate to what the author and/or character(s) is going through.

I couldn't agree more with Lauren's advice. Though it may be tempting for some authors to write what others want to them to write, but I believe that hinders them from a creative standpoint. One of the essentials of writing is not only the therapeutic aspect, but the having the creative freedom to express yourself, and allowing the story to flow the way you want to, not by the dictation of others. Everyone-- even those who have overcome it-- at some point in their lives has dealt with doubting themselves. Faith and persistence is key.

I'm definitely thankful for the opportunity to speak with Lauren. I'm impressed by her maturity, and I can see why she gaining such a fan base. I hope the best for her in her journey as an author and art therapist. For more on Lauren, or to purchase Chosen, visit her author page in the hyperlink below.

Amazon Author Page: Lauren Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Author Nicky Shearsby

Nicky Shearsby. Photo courtesy of Nicky's Amazon page . It has been a long time, but I'm glad to announce that the Literature Lounge...